Sunday, July 17, 2011

Partying in Portland - Friend and Family Style

I should know better. I tell myself I need to write more often since everyday seems like two or three days when you are on an adventure like this, yet the discipline of writing on a consistent basis still escapes me. However, I have a lot to share and maybe, just maybe it was worth the wait. We left off at our second day in Portland which had us head in to downtown for a show. An LA band, Warner Drive, who rocked it out for sure. We hung out with the guys pre-show shooting the shit and I got to watch everyone play the seven degrees of separation game since I’m realizing the music scene is smaller than I think.


Brookes, Sally and I at the Warner Drive show

Saturday, July 9 – Our third day in Oregon we drove along the Columbia River Gorge to hike at Latourell Falls. The Gorge is massive and an absolute wonder to behold. The Columbia River, which divides Oregon from Washington, is nestled between gigantic tree-covered mountains on each side. They are not kidding when they say things are so much greener in the Pacific Northwest. Obviously it’s because it rains a whole hell of a lot more, but the scenery rivals even that of Costa Rica (in our humble opinion). When you have scenery like this, it makes you think “This would NOT be a bad commute if I’m looking at this majestic site on my drive.” We saw not one, but TWO, waterfalls and hiked to a viewpoint where you could see the Columbia River from atop the mountain. The evening I spent decompressing and going for a long walk with Coach around Brookes’ house (where we parked our RV) while Sally went to a BBQ her family put on, reunion style.


Brookes and I on our hike at Latourell Falls


One of the waterfalls at Latourell Falls, Columbia River Gorge

Sunday, July 10 - Sunday was the bachelorette party!! I know what you may be thinking … booze, strippers, debauchery, night out on the town. Well you’re wrong, half-wrong anyway. There was definitely booze and slight debauchery, but overall it was the best bachelorette party I’ve ever been to! The brides, Lindsay and Allyn decided they just wanted to have a day at the river (Washougal River, Washington) – so pirate punch, treasure chest piñata and lots of swimming composed the day. Water was shockingly cold to the system, yet when you decide to jump from the rope swing three times, that kind of stuff is of small consequence. I would have done it by myself but Allyn and another friend of hers accompanied me. First jump I’d give myself a 5, second jump an 8 and last jump a 2.5 …. How I got worse, I’ll never know! The evening was spent making dinner at Brookes' and hanging out some more with the ladies.


Sweet location for a bachelorette party ... Mile Marker 7, Washougal River, Washington


Coach and I getting some sun at the river

Monday, July 11 – Another decompress day, for the both of us actually. We went for a run around the neighborhood again and relaxed until the evening. I’m pretty proud of Sally, she’s come on a couple of runs with me and is really challenging herself even though she does NOT like running. Coach definitely pushes ME! When I run with him I am constantly having to keep up … I am usually telling him to slow down but secretly glad for the push. That evening I accompanied Sally back to her cousin Cody’s house for another family reunion. Since I did not go the night before, I was glad for the opportunity to meet them all. We had pizza, took shots of tequila (or whiskey), drank some wine and just had a lovely evening eating, talking and being silly outside with Cody and Mary’s kids.


Sally and I at the little kid's table at her cousin's house ... with wine in hand of course!

Side Note: This whole time we realized the refrigerator stopped working. Apparently it’s SUPER important for the RV to be level and where we were parked was really uneven and the hydraulics thing still eluded us. Thankfully where we parked next (Hood River) WAS level and the fridge started working again, hallelujah. You seriously become grateful for the most basic things on a trip like this! Talk about a humbling experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home